Respite Housing Application
A child must be 17 years old or younger and undergoing treatment for a life-threatening illness. A child is eligible until they have been off active treatment for more than one year. We consider treatment “active” when a child is seeing the physician at least once a month for medication and/or therapy. More
In order to be considered for participation in our programs all families must submit a completed application for their child. All forms must be signed by BOTH parents/guardians. The medical assessment MUST be filled out and signed by the physician.
download our application
Participation in BIT programs is contingent upon receipt of all completed forms and approval by the The BIT Foundation in regards to compliance with all guidelines and eligibility requirements.
- Accommodations are free of charge.
- Families must provide their own transportation to the facilities.
- Families with the greatest need and who have never gone on a respite are our first priority.
- Child is 17 years or younger and receiving treatment for a life-threatening illness. Life-threatening illnesses* can include/not limited to:
- Some cardiology
- Organ transplants
- Child is in active treatment and seen by a doctor monthly or more frequently. Active treatment often includes: chemotherapy, radiation, dialysis, transplant surgery, BMT, and open heart surgery. A child is eligible until off active treatment for one year.
- Children with parents who are Active Military and meet the eligibility requirements will be given higher priority in all our facilities.
- The family is able to provide their own transportation to and from the respite facility.
- The family is able to provide their own meals and traveling expenses. Some resources may be provided for the family.
- The family is respectful and responsible, with no indication of inability to abide by rules/regulations.
- Parents in a divorced or separated situation must both agree to share the opportunities our programs we provide. If parents are not able to do so, we will work with the parent who has physical custody of the child. A copy of the court ordered custody agreement is required.
* We reserve the right to place families where we deem appropriate.